Thursday, September 04, 2008

and...

I just read Bondo's blog, which is kinda crazy since he's sitting about 5 1/2 feet away from me, but I was reminded today of Anne B's (that's Bogart, not Annie-B Parson [just in case you were going there for some reason]) description of what she wants from going to the theater vis a vis going to the movies.

If I were super on the ball I'd quote her directly, but it basically amounts to wanting to sit back and have it all come to her in the movies and to lean forward in her seat and meet the work/enter into it in the theater (that's my take on it, anyway).

And I was thinking this morning about the difference between mystery and befuddlement.

There's mystery, which Deborah implores us to cultivate and which enables an audience member to lean forward and engage - meet the work and behold the infinite possibilities. And makes it possible - indeed inevitable - that one audience member's perception will be different from the perception of another's. And then there's linearity, which often demands that the audience think or feel a certain way. And then there's utter and incessant confusion and/or overanalysis - the state of the audience being caught up in trying to figure out what's going on and just going, "What is this? I can't find a way in!"

and with that, I am off to make dinner or walk on the beach or figure out where on the Isle of Skye I will go in a couple of days.

So, yep, Skye's where I'm headed before I return to London.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arthur Anchors said...

fancy seeing you here. I'll be in London in Oct. Will you? Lets hang out!

11:32 AM

 
Blogger D said...

Nope - I'll be back in NYC by then.

You're moving, right?

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Galv Jenkins said...

Now I'll be more honest about admitting my befuddlement. I live in Belgium now, so next time you're in Europe we should connect. Tunde.

8:37 AM

 
Blogger D said...

wow! Tunde! where in Belgium? and what are you doing?

thanks for stopping by the blog

9:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home