Sunday, August 24, 2008

Edinburgh Day 5 - 2 for 2!

Yesterday's Fringe forage yielded most nutritious fruits!

1) LILLY THROUGH THE DARK - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=54661974

First I cried because their skills were so inspiring. Then I laughed and cried because the story was so moving. Then I cried some more because these things became inseparable and that's what makes art. Utterly beautiful. I chatted with them after the show. They should come to NY and CA and meet the fools(Furyans).

2) PHANTOMYSTERIA - http://novy.tnf.cz/wwwroot/?M=Repertoir/Phantomysteria&lang=en

Within the first 45 seconds of the performance - well, even that's debatable...when, exactly, the extraordinary site-specific piece 'begins' is hard to say - a man sets himself on fire. That's a very auspicious start, I'd say. Frank Zappa, ice skating on gravel, explosions. Immense and vivid meta-narrative. Endlessly fascinating and often elusive (to me, anyhow) moment-to-moment work.

Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home